Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The tax man cometh

and the election is around the corner. Both Hussien and Hillary have indicated they won't extend the Bush tax cuts. I heard some nutcake on the radio claiming that this won't be a tax increase, just a failure to renew a decrease.

What a stupid thing to say.

But I digress. Here's what I wanted to highlight:

At a recent fund-raiser for Hillary Clinton, the billionaire investor Warren E. Buffett said that rich guys like him weren’t paying enough. Mr. Buffett asserted that his taxes last year equaled only 17.7 percent of his taxable income, compared with about 30 percent for his receptionist.


What he doesn't tell us, of course, is what his taxable income was versus what his actual income was. I would hazard a guess that he, like most wealthy people, has a great deal of income that is non-taxable. So when Warren tells us that, I'll pay attention to him.

And I will also repeat what is often said, "If you want to pay more taxes, just write a check to the US Treasury and send it to the address you mailed your 1040. In other words, lead by example.



No comments:

Post a Comment