Thursday, February 21, 2008

Further to my comments last night regarding

Wal-Mart, I decided to write them a letter. It is as follows.

-deleted-
February 21, 2008

Mr. Lee Scott
Chief Executive Officer
Wal-Mart Incorporated
702 S.W. 8th St.
Bentonville, AR 72716-8611


Dear Mr. Scott:

I note the following AP news story.

“AP - RIVERDALE, Utah (Feb. 20) -- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. apologized to a Muslim woman who said she was mocked because of her face veil.

"Please don't stick me up," a cashier told the shopper on Feb. 2, according to The Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Wal-Mart apologized Monday in a letter signed by Rolando Rodriquez, a vice president and regional general manager. It was released Tuesday by the council's Nevada chapter.

"I can assure you that the associate in question was disciplined in accordance with our employment policies as a result of the situation," Rodriguez said without disclosing details.

Rodriguez said employees at the Riverdale store would undergo "sensitivity training," specifically in the Islamic faith and Muslim culture.”

This is utter nonsense. What should have been done is to explain to the complainer that in our culture, in the country that she came to under her own free will, people do not go around with their face covered, and that those who do are often and usually regarded with suspicion.

You should have then said that you apologized if the joke offended her, but no harm was meant, and that Wal-Mart would be glad to work with her, and other Muslims, to help them better understand the culture of the United States. You should have then extended the same offer to CAIR.

Of course that would have required a small degree of courage. Something Wal-Mart did not exhibit in the face of pressure from an organization, CAIR that the US Government has designated as an un-indicted co-conspirator in the case against the Holy Land Foundation. (If you are unfamiliar, Google has about 21,800 hits on the subject.)




Mr. Lee Scott page 2 of 2

Now I understand that a commercial organization has a great reluctance to become involved in such things as national politics and thus can be easily pushed around by a lobbying organization that claims to represent a segment of the US population. But if you expect your customers to show loyalty to you, you must show that you believe in the values of this country. And one of those values is that all are welcome who want to become Americans. However, a dogged utilization of traditional dress and a demonstrated sensitivity to what, at worst, was an ill considered joke does not demonstrate a desire to be assimilated into our culture. Your demonstrated support of the actions by the Muslin female and CAIR are unacceptable. I again suggest the remedy I offered earlier in this letter.

Sir, the vast, vast, vast largest number of your customers are the American middle class. Working men and women who have fought, bled and died for the country and the freedoms we all hold dear. In fact, the Wal-Mart employee who has been “disciplined” most likely has a family member, a friend or a family member of a friend who has served in the military to protect the rights and “feelings” that seem to be in play in this matter.

As you can tell by the address I live in a small town, and I was pleased when you opened a Super Center about a year ago. Having been a Wal-Mart customer since the early eighties I looked forward to the better selection and competitive prices I expected you to provide, and have rewarded you with annual business in the neighborhood of $9,000.

It would be difficult to totally quit doing business with you, but let me assure you that you have lost my good will, and I think millions of other Americans like me. I will do my best to reduce my business level with you to the bare minimum and to actively seek other companies to do business with.

Sincerely,


I don't exect a reply. If you would like to call them, the number is 479-277-7000.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard the "those who do not shop at Wal-Mart" train good buddy.

    I don't like the way they hardballed American mnfg's like Rubbermade into the red, I don't like their buddy/buddy relationship with the Chinese, and I don't like their stance on the right of workers to unionize.

    But as you can clearly see, like most monolith corporations they are loyal only to their bottom line...American culture, American workers, and American manufacturers (what's left of 'em" be damned.

    - kdog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind their hardballed games with US manufacturers. Too many US manufacturers thought they had a free pass, didn't modernize, wouldn't moderbize and reduce manufacturing costs, etc.

    I do not like the fact that they are a little piece of China in every town they have a srore, and that will change, the question is how much pain we will have over it.

    What I cannot stand is bowing down to CAIR. Like I said, everybody is welcome, but I expect them to adapt our culture to a large extent. And if they don't want to, why in the heck are they here?

    That's why I wrote the letter.

    ReplyDelete