Thursday, February 21, 2008

Did you ever

have a discussion with someone and after walking away think of a dozen things you would like to have said??

I think most of us have.

A few months ago on another blog one of the Left Wing commentators drew himself up and declared that I had said he was un-patriotic and that he was insulted. To my shame I assured him that I didn’t mean to imply that he was.

What I should have said was this.

I understand that you consider yourself a patriot. That you embrace this delusion is your right, and I do not challenge the fact that you believe. But belief does not confer fact.

And the fact that you think you are does not mean that I must agree with you, or in fact do agree with you. In fact, I do not. What I believe is that you are terribly misinformed and are the end result of a failed education system and a life experience that, evidently, is so different from mine that I cannot imagine how you came to embrace the causes you do and the positions you espouse. But that is your life and your problems.

All I can do is offer my sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment