Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Okra aka candy



So far I have frozen about 10 meals and think I can get 10 more. That will be one or two a month until the 2010 crop comes in, that is assuming Global Warming doesn't delay the crop with unseasonably cold weather as it did this spring..

It will produce until frost but I will need a step ladder for the last of the crop.

All the cook has to do is dump the pre-breaded okra into the frying pan, stir everynow and then for even browning, lift out, drain and serve. Especially good on a cold winter day.

Of course I might need to advise the police in advance of what I am growing.

I thought you might like this story. My grandparents are transplanted Oakies. They moved to Modesto, CA in 1950. My grandpa as long as I can remember has had at least an acre of okra. Right after thay moved to Modesto my grandfather woke up one morning to find several Sheriff's officers tromping through the okra and stepping on the watermelon. He went out to see what was up. The Sheriff was convinced that my grandpa was growing pot in his garden and had never heard of, let alone seen okra. It took a couple cups of coffee and a few of last years pickled okras to send this law officer on his way. He later became a close friend of the family. Much like everyone who has ever crossed paths with grandpa. It just isn't summer without okra.



Link

A California sherrif who didn't know what pot looked like? Well, that's the story and they are sticking to it.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I envy your garden. Careful with the step ladder, young man. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardens are the keepers of our souls.

    ReplyDelete