Sunday, March 1, 2009

Training Day redux


I love Bill Whittle. The following is from Eject!Eject!Eject under the title of "Training Day."

Where do I begin?

Well, first of all, I find it deeply offensive to my personal sense of honor and integrity to be punished or otherwise lectured on something I did not do. Period. And to be subjected to two hours of second-grade style, “who can tell me what Johnny did wrong by telling Sarah she has a hot body” lecturing infuriates me on many levels.

To begin with, I do not need to be told this is inappropriate behavior. I already know that is inappropriate behavior. I learned that was inappropriate behavior not from the State of California or a battalion of corporate lawyers, but from my parents, who raised me to be polite, well-mannered, and who spent much of their own youth trying to form me into a civilized gentleman. I know, I can see the smiles on many faces already. It’s like I’m speaking in Aramaic.

.....

Perhaps, in future editions of the handbook, we can add another victim group to the protected category: rational adults. Perhaps I might contribute a chapter to this sensitivity training. Something like:

“The rational adult is a small and shrinking minority in the workplace. His cultural heritage – which is just as valuable as anyone else's! – has taught him that “personal responsibility” means he has a right to feel insulted, offended and harassed when being lectured on things that he did not do, nor would ever contemplate doing. In this ancient and primitive culture, a person’s “honor” and “integrity” are relied upon to govern behavior. If such a person unknowingly gives insult, they will “apologize.” According to their tribal ethics, people who intentionally harm, insult or harass others deserve to be fired on the spot.”


Years ago I happened to be in our corporate headquarters when we had such training. I sat through it, signed the oath to never do anything that would insult anybody about anything, and then went back to the real world.

About a month later the lady brought her course to the region office. As requested I had gathered all the troops together for this special day, introduced the trainer, noted that I had attended a class and went back to my office.

The lady finished her training and left.

You guessed it.

The next day, along about 9AM MST my boss called. His query?

"Why didn't you attend the training session?"

Me. "I did."

"X said you did not."

Me. "I attended at headquarters with you. You know that. She knew that, she gave that class, too. I even mentioned it when I introduced her."

"Yes, but she feels you disrespected her and the intent of the training when you didn't attend with your people."

Me. "They aren't my people. They are sales reps and managers. They report to me."

"You know what I mean."

Me. "No, I don't know what you mean."

"I have interceded on your behalf. Send her an email apologizing and I think everything will be okay."

Me. "No."

"She will write you up."

Me. "Tell her I will overnight her a pen if she doesn't have one."

So now you know why I never went above a certain point in my business career. My inability to suffer nonsense. I think that is why Patton is my favorite military type.

2 comments:

  1. We take ours on-line. In my group we have a contest to see who can take the "45 minute expected time" class the fastest.

    I'm at 4:15 and in third place.

    I'm kind of looking forward to next year.

    -XC

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny.

    I knew the Internet did wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete