Monday, December 1, 2008

Getting what you want for UT football


Well, we got a new coach. When I first heard his name I said, "Who?"

I suspect I was joined by a 1,000,000 or so other UT fans.

Come to find out he has almost no experience and what he does is bad. He guided the Raiders to a 5 and 15 record in a year and a half.

Now it is rumored he wants to bring in his Daddy and brother.

Huh?

I could never argue against Fulmer leaving. If you look at the last seven years or so you will see a steady drop in players going on to the NFL and that is a sure indication of a drop in recruiting success, and that's the head coach's job.

But there is more to it than tossing a ball out on the field and letting them play. Eighteen year old athletes are not exactly wired to follow orders. Like sales people, managing them is like herding cats. They don't need friends who relate, they need coaches they can believe in. Kiffin doesn't bring that with him. I hope he develops it in a hurry. I will pull for his success, but I have to wonder why he was hired. Surely they could have done better.

In the meantime Fulmer may have had the last laugh.

In his final press conference following the game, Fulmer deftly issued a challenge to his successor.

"To me he ought to win every football game next year. How's that for pressure on the new guy?" he said with a grin.


Let me add that along with Kiffin's head on the block, the Athletic Director who hired him should be there with him. Just because the choice looks so bad and the whole thing was handled so poorly.

I even know a guy who could be the new AD without costing a dime in relocation expenses. Loves UT, has a great reputation, knows football, loyal.........

Go safely, Coach. You gave us a million thrills.


Link to calender.

No comments:

Post a Comment