Saturday, November 1, 2008

University of Tennesee Volunteers - some advice

As I close this the game is 10 minutes away.

South Carolina is 5-3, something they are fairly use to, although Spurrier has the trend line up. Tennessee is 3 and 5, a situation that is not mentioned in polite society. And the trend line is flat and the natives are, to say the least, restless. In fact, if this was a movie, say "King Solomon's Mines," the native porters would have run away and we could hear drums in the distance while Khiva is explaining to Alan Quarterman that the news is bad. Very bad.

Now I happen to like Fulmer. I met him in Phoenix at the National Championship game and found him approachable and down to earth. His winning percentage is still better than almost all others and I would have guessed he could have named his price after winning the National Championship. Loyalty counts and he has been loyal. So I am hopeful he and Coach Clawson can work things out.

But when I read things like this, I have to wonder.

KNOXVILLE — There’s no question that many University of Tennessee football fans are worried about first-year coordinator Dave Clawson’s struggling offense.

Clawson said it’s human nature for his players to be worried, too.

“I’m sure that’s normal,” Clawson said moments after Saturday’s 26-14 loss at Georgia. “It would be hard for them not to feel that way.

“But that’s where I have confidence in the system. I’ve seen it work before, and we’re going to make it work.”


Uh, Coach... insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

But, in the full knowledge that he will never read this I am going to offer some advice.

Open up your playbook. Here are the plays I haven't seen ran this year.

A reverse, a double reverse, a flea flicker, a naked bootleg by the QB, a FB buck, and only maybe 5 passes of more than 30 Yard's. Instead what we see is the QB kept in the pocket trying to find the open receiver against a nickel defense. What we see is run on first down and pass on second down and third and punt...punt...punt.

Coach, when the whole stadium knows what the play is then the other team knows.

Let the players play. If we get beat, we get beat. But I am tired of watching someone try and prove their "system" works. Pissing me off by losing is bad. Pissing me off by loosing and boring me is unforgivable.

No comments:

Post a Comment