Monday, October 20, 2008

A note to General Powell


General, you have left McCain when he needed you most.

I admired you for years. In fact, I was hoping that you would run for President in 2000. I had copies of your presentations you gave on leadership and passed them around to friends.

But I guess you didn't matter to the media in 2000, they didn't see you as a transitional candidate, they saw you as a moderate military type leader, and that was the end of that.

I was happy when Bush appointed you to be SecState, and admired your support for the war.

But then you fell off the scope. I can remember nothing you accomplished at State, and like many before you, you became overcome by the sheer inertia of that bloated failed organization. Despite that I hoped that Bush would name you his VP candidate in 2004.

And I always felt that you were an honest man and criticized Bush for his choice.

Unfortunately, I can no longer say that.

If you are as smart as I think you are, you know that Hussein is totally unqualified to be President. So that brings your motivation into question.

I have thought about that and have concluded.

1. You have suspended your good judgement and have endorsed him because he is black. Something you would have, once upon a time, flayed a military person for doing.

2. Or, you have suspended your good judgement and want back into the game and are angling for a job.

Both speak ill of you.

Your running away from McCain calls to mind something Shakespeare wrote about military men and honor.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

--- Shakespeare's Henry V

You may have purchased a high place in Hussein's court. How history will judge your actions has not been written.

6 comments:

  1. My favourite Shakespeare's quotation. How I evaluate a man.

    Of course, Colin Powell sold out. Colour and position. He had the intention to be with Obama long before Sarah Palin appeared on the scene. Now, instead of stabbing his brother once, he does it twice. More blood on his hands.

    He is being judged instantly by his American contemporaries, and the world-at-large. His betrayal of what he shared privately with President Bush brings him to rat level. His running to the other side, while the battle is raging, nullifies his years of service.

    History will call him the Petain of his generation.

    A bit harsh? Not for someone who deserted long ago when he was sorely needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to Weeder Gander - I have no desire to discuss what Powell said.

    It was what it was. I reoeat:

    "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

    I know you cannot grasp the full meaning of the above. For that I feel sorry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you don't want to discuss what he said, I would suggest to Claudia and anyone else who reads this to do so using Google, etc. to watch or read the transcript of Powell on MTP and then reconsider what you wrote.

    I know you cannot grasp the full meaning of the above.

    That is as true as the accusation you've made to me in the past about me being a Daily Kos type,

    Not please go back and play at KOS or Talkleft

    but your arrogance is LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to think that this blog is here for you to argue over what Powell said.

    It is not.

    And the fact that you fail to understand that it isn't the content of Powell's comments, but the very fact that he made them, demonstrates that you do not understand Shakespeare's Henry the V's speech.

    ""We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me "

    Powell left the field in favor of another.

    "And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

    Nothing he can say, nothing you can argue replaces that fact, and the disdain it brings forth towards him.

    As I said, I pity you because you do not understand that. And I doubt you ever will.

    Now. This thread is closed to you.
    Don't come back on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim - It might not be necessary for you to print my comment. It was for Weeder Gander.

    When I came here, I already had read Colin Powell on Google, and listened to his interview on CNN. Your post only confirmed my evaluation on the situation.

    Your Shakespeare's quotation is so appropriate. Powell's decision is a betrayal. I'm very saddened when old soldiers (like Maréchal Pétain in WW2) desert their principles for better advantages, or to retain a place of importance in their country or in World's Affairs

    I need no advice from anyone to search and find proper informations. Actually, very often, you're far more knowledgeable than Google and YouTube. You never print anything that you haven't checked before, and you always send us to your various sources.

    Thank you for your excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claudia - I have to print your comment for it to be read and will always be pleased to do so.

    To the Left everything is about politics so they have no understanding of duty and honor before personal gain.

    Again you are too kind. I appreciate your comments. Tonight I toast you!

    ReplyDelete