Saturday, May 10, 2008

Poker - Poor starting hands

I think I read this from Doyle Brunson... A King-Queen off suit is the most over rated starting hand in Holdem.... I'm not sure if he gave a detailed explanation, but I recently saw this. (I wasn't in the hand.)

The cards were dealt and the player in position 5, a mid position, made it two bets. Position 8 and the button called as did the Big Blind. I later found that the raiser had Kh-Qd.. The flop came Kc-4s-7h... The Big Blind checked, position 5 bet and was called by position 8 and the button. The Big Blind folded. The next card was a Jd. Position 5 bet and position 8 raised.. The Button folded and Position 5 called. The river was a 3c. Position 5 checked, Position 8 bet and was called by 5. Position 8 turned over A-K and took the pot.

Simply put, Position 8 had the best kicker. The guy on the button noted that position 5 would have been better off with a Q on the flop, which was true but not appreciated by the player in position 5...

I didn't see much wrong with position 5's play. It was a limit game so the maximum cost of the mistake was one bet. But in No Limit it would have been dreadful. Position 8 bet the river for value, which I probably would not have done. Position 5 could have raised on a small pair and flopped a set, or made a set or two pair when the Jd came on the turn, in which case I would have been trapped for three bets. Risking two for a return of one doesn't appeal to me.

Also the "one bet mistake" is more important than players sometimes think. If you can save 5 "mistakes" in a 20-40 game that is $200, which is a nice piece of change.

But the real problem with K-Q is that it sets you up to win a small pot or lose a large one. Many people play A-J, A-T, T-9, J-T, A-Q, especially if suited. So a two pair flop of K-Q means that someone is likely to be drawing a strong hand against you.

Am I saying I won't play it? Nope. Just that I won't raise before the flop unless I'm in very late position against only the blinds.

BTW - If you have never read Brunson and are interested in poker, you should Google him up and buy his books. Even if you don't play they are well written and interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment