Sunday, May 18, 2008

Illegal aliens in Postville, Iowa

"I like my job. I like my work. I like it here in Iowa," said Escobedo, 38, an illegal immigrant from Yescas, Mexico, who has raised his three children for 11 years in Postville. "Are they mad because I'm working?"


Well yes. Yes I am.

I am angry because you broke our laws and entered the country illegally.

I am angry because you took a job, most likely at a lower price and with worse working conditions, than a US citizen would. And because of that you have depressed the wages and worsened the working conditions of millions of US citizens.

I am angry because you, after doing the above, want to complain about being caught.

I am angry because you don't seem to understand any of the above.

I am also angry at our government letting your employer get away with hiring you, and not severely punishing them.

I am also angry at the state and local government who had to have known the situation, doing nothing.

I am happy when I read this:

At St. Bridget's Catholic Church, Eduardo Santos, 27, who came from Guatemala and lost two of his fingers working at the factory, said the raid was "fair . . . but it's bad for everybody. There's no work." He plans to go home.


I am disgusted when I see the article's author, Spencer S. Hsu, bring in a irrelevant point... the loss of Santos' fingers in an attempt to slant the story. Hsu's bias becomes obvious.




No comments:

Post a Comment