Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I love baber shops

I got a haircut yesterday, actually all of them. And as a bonus, I had the opportunist to view up close where the mindset of the American citizen is.

Most of it was on the price of gas, and I sensed a victory for neither, but rather a vast disgust at the politicians' lack of action, and both sides are in deep dodo. And Hillary, as FOS as usual, may have hit the right button when she made her aggressive anti-OPEC comments... But that was covered earlier.

Somehow the subject swung to crime, and then to dope. And the really unusual thing I found was the group, no youngsters in it, all more or less had also had it over the so-called war on drugs.

Now my position on drugs hasn't changed. Some drugs, such as speed and Ecstasy and the date rape drug should be illegal and stamped out. But beyond that, and I may have missed some of the no-nos, I think we are wasting our time over them. They are all bad and I use no drugs except for a glass of wine or other alcohol base drink, but people have been using them for years, and will continue. And as long as people do, criminals will serve the market and seek to expand that market by pushing dope to our children and to kill each other over turf and profits.

So what to do? I say make'em legal. Sell'em at liquor stores and use the tax revenue for education and treatment. And that would include nicotine based products which are killing hundreds of thousands each year through the big C and big E, not to mention heart attacks and strokes caused by nicotine.

And just as ignoring the environmental wackos will require great political courage to start drilling for oil, this will require great political courage to ignore the religious Right and reform the laws.

Will it ever happen? Only after we finally realize that the current cost does not justify the current results.



No comments:

Post a Comment