Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bits and pieces

It's early evening here at the Palatial Retirement Compound, and a pleasant day it has been. Too wet to plow and with no especially shocking actions by the Demos to report I have piddled around all day. Sometimes retirement is good.

I keep promising myself that I'll do a serious post on why we need National Health Care but I am just to lazy to attack the subject.

There have been a few fun things today, such as the Demos trying to act like Hillary's 66% win means nothing. And then we have John "The Channeler" Edwards endorsing Hussein 57 as if anyone cared. I do see that Edwards is being pimped as Hussein 57's VP. Oh well. What's the saying...? To be a good loser requires practice..

And just to show you that Oklahoma wants change, Muskogee has elected a 19 year old mayor... and just to show that His Honor has been paying attention...

"I think that's been a detriment to the trust of the citizens of Muskogee," he said. "Once we have that trust, we can solve any other problem."


Huh?? But I digress.

Following up on the University of Colorado wanting to hire a conservative professor,Tom Tancredo, the bane of all the cultural sojourner backers, has a plan.

The outspoken opponent of illegal immigration is suggesting classes in "English Only 101" and "American Assimilation." He's also proposing a 20-foot-high fence around the border of the university's Boulder campus.


And I am sure Tom would start every class with this song.

Speaking of Oklahoma.... I am reminded that when I was going through prep school a Bud and I bought a 1936 Chevy that had been hand painted....yes with a brush...dark green... One fine Saturday we had persuaded two young ladies to go on a picnic to one of the local "lakes." Needless to say we buried the car up to its running boards, and consumed a fair amount of beer..Or was it we consumed a fair amount of beer and buried the car up to its runnung boards?? Anyway a Deputy Sheriff came along, determined we were in the service of our country and helped us get the car out... and let us go with a cheerful reminder to be careful.

I think I can say that there has been a cultural change since then.



4 comments:

  1. I remember hearing that video and I might have told you this before. If so, please bear with me. We are a two-nation-country and we have two official languages in Canada. Nevertheless when, at 24, I moved from French Quebec to English Ontario, I never expected anyone to speak French to me. I just hoped that they would put up with my English which was rather primitive. People did and helped me a lot at work. I've always been grateful.It's been such an advantage to become proficient in English.

    Not long ago, I took a cab. The radio was at a foreign language station. I told the taxi driver to change it to English. He was truly annoyed and said I was the first person to ask him that. I gave him 5 pennies tip, and told him it would help him if he would try to improve not only his language but his manners. I told him, " When I pay for the ride, I have the right to listen to my own language in my own country." I love this video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video is one of my favorites..

    Sometimes I am convinced that the Lefties are trying to destroy the country in the name of Political Correctness. Too many of our kids today have exactly no understanding that if they don't keep the country someone will come along and take it, just as our ancestors did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right about the younger generation. When I told the cab-driver's reaction to my British son, he shook his head, "It must have been Parsi or Kurdish, Mom. The poor man was probably lonely." I replied," He will be lonely for a long time if he doesn't learn English."

    Keep posting. I'll keep reading. It's often sad but sometimes quite amusing.Lifting my glass to your good health. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too kind!

    And I too am convinced that the reason bi-lingual education is pushed is that it keeps the immigrant, no matter what nationl origin, in the ghetto and under control of the politicans.

    And I'll have a good cab... let it breath for a bit.. maybe a bit of cheese on the side

    ReplyDelete