Saturday, April 5, 2008

Taken to task

A lady from Toronto, you can read her comments below, has justly chastised me for not noting the contributions of the Canadians in WWII. I also left out Australia, New Zealand, India and some other Commonwealth countries.
And, with the exception of India and Egypt they have also been staunch allies during the cold war. I also noted the help of some countries in the current battles.
I apologize for my omissions. In my defense I note that a reading of my post should reveal they are directed at the “non-western world” in general, and more specifically old Europe.

Never the less I feel the need to point out they weren’t directed at “friends,” especially those who are in such agreement about Kennedy, Carter and the current crop of Left Wing democrats making such spectacles of themselves.

Claudia in Toronto said...

“You can say: "Nuts" to my opinion on how you should vote but I'm very concerned, Sir.

First, let me remind you that USA didn't win the 39-45 War alone. My brother was there with his Canadian Regiment on the Normandy Beach. So were the British. They were grateful you came. You waited long enough and you could not have done it alone.

Let me remind you also that you have done a few political mistakes on your own without any of the world's advice. You elected JFK for his charisma. He nearly drove your country and the world to a nuclear disaster. I lived in Houston at the time. I wasn't sure if we would make it back home alive. You elected Jimmy Carter who was (still is) an incredibly naive doer and counsellor in the Middle East. You elected Bill Clinton who allowed 9/11 to be organised right under his eyes. Your country is allowing an impeached President to push his wife to the White House for "his" third term. The other Democratic candidate has strong Muslim connectations that are hardly mentioned in your media. Those two "possible next presidents" talk everyday about stopping IMMEDIATELY the Iraq War when I know that Iran will jump on Iraq as soon as the Americans leave.The Middle east will then become a boiling inferno.

You don't want my advise? I cannot vote in your elections but I'm scared to death about what you will do. You've done mistakes before. I live right next door. I'm scared to death, Sir. Maybe the American people should listen to what I have to say. You have been blinded enough in the past. I am a friend, not your enemy.”


I can only urge you to find a video camera, someone to work it and send in your comments. But remember that the blog in question is looking for negative comments, so it is doubtful they will post your comments.
BTW – My use of “Nuts!!!” refers to the American Commander at Bastonge’s reply to the German’s demand that he surrender. Given that he was completely surrounded, greatly outnumbered and running low on food and ammo it was a remarkable reply.
Many historians speculate that if the Germans had won the battle they could have punched through to the sea, with the end result being a war ending in negotiations rather than surrender.






7 comments:

  1. "Chastise" is a strong word! I knew that you were talking to "Old Europe" only. I just wanted to remind you gently that Canada, next door, might be part of that survey. Our opinion could have some value...

    It's so easy to ignore us. Yet, our Prime Minister, at the risk of a general election, just obtained from Parliament the permission to stay in Kandahar, Afghanistan till 2011 (instead of 2009). I'm so happy that President Bush will let him have an extra thousand soldiers and equipment, re-enforcements that the Opposition requested.

    There is an amusing note to the story. At the Otan Summit, the French President offered 700 soldiers. They will be sent to Eastern Afghan. The Americans will go to Kandahar because they much prefer to be with Canadians. Vice-versa... Both sides said that the French are a bit of a pain to work with. The twinkle in the eyes of the reporter was priceless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We worked with the Candaian's out of Halifax in the late 50's early 60's on some joint operations.. seems as if the CD was around $1.15to the USD $1.00.. I learned to drink Screech.. later perfected my ability in Newfoundland.. that stuff could leave truly memorable hangovers. Great fun it was...

    I understand the reporter quite well... I hoisted a few engineering confrences in Brussels in the late 60's in which they were involved. They would speak perfect English over drinks, but French only during the meetings... they would also sneer if anyone tried to speak French..This would slow everything down. When I complained they explained that English was not exact enough.. which was true... but I noted English was exact enough to order whiskey at the hotel bar... on my tab..

    We finally became friends and they really were good folks..when they wanted to be..

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. drats..... actually I "hosted"...perhaps it was the memory of all the work involved that brought out "hoisted."

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I can't even spell Canadians

    perhaps it is tyme to reture and sabvi9or the win...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you speak of Canadians, you can say Canucks. We like the term.
    And good friends gently mock us by adding the "eh!" by which we terminate most of our sentences. We're also hard drinkers but it's all in fun! I'm French Canadian so my people and I are partial to French wines.

    As for the French people, there is no great love in our hearts for them. It's historical. France dumped the colony in 1763, thinking that we would not survive after Montcalm lost to Wolfe. But we revived and, without any help from the motherland, we became such a numerous and strong people that English Canada had to unite with us to form the Confederation. Today Canada is officially bilingual and no prime minister would be elected unless he speaks both languages. When French people (like De Gaulle) try to take credit, you can be sure that we tell them, in no uncertain terms, where to go!...

    You can see why I was amused by that reporter's comment and look...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lifting my glass of wine to your good health. As we say in French: À la vôtre!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claudia, why exactly do you hate the present day French for what happened 1763? That doen't make much sense to me at all. Most of the French (from France)I know have no problems with French-Canadians whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete