Friday, April 25, 2008

Lawyers, politicians and ethics

Claudia has made a valid point regarding the post making fun of Bill, Hill, Hussein and Michelle.

I read this post on another blog. My question was: Are all American lawyers political crooks? I never got an answer.

There are very decent lawyers in my family. I'll name you one: my brother, WW2 hero, 5 years overseas as a Major. Finished his law studies after the War, was Queen Councillor, became Colonel of his Regiment until he died of a heart attack at 68.

Surely there must be a few respectable American lawyers. This type of comment is demeaning to the law profession. I think it's also demeaning to Senator McCain whom I greatly admire as a War hero. He would not get my vote because his opponent is a lawyer but because I agree with his conservative political view.

All the best.


Well, the comment is somewhat in jest, and is certainly in questionable taste.

I think it was Mark Twain who said, "First we hang the lawyers."

And there are very decent lawyers, just as there are decent mechanics and plumbers. Problem is, the antics of Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Hussein and Michelle Obama tend to over shadow them.

Outside of the politicians, we have the defense lawyers.

This link to TalkLeft describes a situation where two defense lawyers knew that the guy jailed for 26 years was innocent, but their "ethics" prevented them from ratting out their client, who had confessed to them.

I find such slavish kowtowing to so called "ethics" not especially ethical, useful or any reason to cut lawyers, or politicians, any slack.

To me, if lawyers are concerned about the truth, these two would have went to the judge and told what they knew. In other words, justice became confused with process and came in dead last.



2 comments:

  1. Your link convinced me irrefutably that there are decent American lawyers.;-)

    Cross the border if you ever need a real lawyer. I also have two nephews willing to get you out of trouble.

    This evening, I'll lift my glass to your good health. À la vôtre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I'll have a Stoly on the rocks, twist of lemon...

    Down the hatch!

    ReplyDelete