Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Rain rain go away


I wouldn't say we have had too much rain, but all the yard critters are lining up 2 x 2....

A squirrel has discovered the bird feeder but still remains shy. In Denver they became so accustomed to a free lunch they would face the bay window and chatter their demands should the tray be empty. I soon understood they were good Leftists.

Did you know that squirrels eat only the soft end of the corn kernel? The hard husk is dropped to the ground making a terrible mess. Like teenagers they don't pick up after themselves.

The pear trees have broken into full bloom, the tulips and buttercups are blooming and the other trees are budding. It is now do or be dug up for the Japanese maples who suffered so from the late freeze last year and the dry summer. If they must be replaced perhaps Pope Algore will pay the freight since his global warming failed. Should I hold my breath?

The strawberries are in a horrible mess having been flooded by cold water for most of the winter. My plan to move them to higher ground will be executed as soon as I can walk without sinking into mud. This will disappoint not only the squirrels, but the rabbits. Both enjoy green strawberries. Don't ask me to explain. But the picture is proof of the squirrel's evil ways.

I shall spend the next hour planning my garden. It is a fun thing to do. Almost as much fun as cranking up the big digger and churning the dirt.

Rain rain go away..... for at least a week!

Bump and update.... If you want a closer look, click on the picture.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful to see a green lawn and a full tree blooming.
    Environment Canada predicts six more weeks of Winter weather.
    I don't believe the sun will rise again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually that picture was taken around the first week of April last year. This year evereything is a sodden mess and we had snow about a week ago...

    All of it the fault of Pope Algore.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete