Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The rumor that I have jumped out a window

is greatly exaggerated... I did spill my coffee when the market opened at almost 450 down.. but it has gained about 300 back..so the window is shut...for now... ;-)

Most of my time this morning was spent with AOL. If you have AOL you know that they are changing their virus and firewall protection, which is really MacaFee.. Anyway, the popup directs you install the new free software... So I did, but the Firewall didn't load... So I called AOL and after speaking with a guy in India he helped me remove all the previous anti-virus software and then I loaded the new with no problem. Why that isn't done automatically I have no idea.

Only took about two hours, some of it my fault....

Many people like to complain about AOL. Actually I think most of them are like Mac users, of whom I have found, many (but not YOU, dear reader)like to claim that Mac is worth the $1000 more they paid for a computer.. Having had both, I found the early Mac's had good, but limited applications, software and lousy hardware.

The only real hardware problems I have had with a Windows based portable was with one that caught fire while I was working away on a UAL flight.... The flight crew was very unhappy. Thank goodness this was pre 9/11 or I might still be in prison.. but I digress.

The tech this morning was very helpful. An Indian chap, he spoke good Standard English, but his Southern English was somewhat limited so our conversation featured many "repeat please."

I know at this point I should insert a mini rant about "outsourcing." I am against it, but our current problems have nothing to do with a guy in India doing a job, but rather $100 oil, non-existent nuclear power plants and a country stupid enough to worry about polar bears instead of Aunt Jane's utility bill. And an educational system that seems to churn out an endless supply of people qualified only to work in fast food restaurants along with attorneys, journalists and education majors. The latter group also features many who are also not the brightest bulbs on the tree...
These become politicians and talking heads.

6 comments:

  1. I just got my new 20" iMac and I am nothing but thrilled with it.

    But to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best way known to start a fight is to say something even halfway bad about a MAC....

    ;-)

    Sent me enough money and I will join you. Everyone has their price!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The service centre people in India who support UK businesses, they don't undertand Canadian English, only British English! So I used to have to spell most stuff.

    In the UK many businesses will proudly proclaim "our service centres are not in India."

    Why aren't the educated people in India getting jobs in good companies in India, such as Microsoft? Instead, Microsoft is relocating Brits and Americans in India.....

    Handbag and Shoe Queen
    in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question... I had the same about all the Brits that showed up in Dallas and Warrendale...The Canadaians I could put up with.... ;-)

    I also brought up the question as to why we were taking 30 or so people to Montreal and England 1/2/01.... So I was branded a trouble maker immediately..

    ReplyDelete
  5. jim i'd suggest you and i are pre-disposed trouble makers!!!

    handbag and shoe queen
    oz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me???

    Just because I kept on asking all those questions??

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete